Mauduit, Sir Roger
Roger Mauduit was born at Castle Prudhoe in 1266 to local nobility. The Mauduit family were Northumberland landowners and Roger inherited his title and property from his father, also named Roger. He was the husband of Alianore de Umfreville, the Countess of Angus, and daughter of Robert de Lumley and widow of the 9th Earl of Angus, Robert de Umfraville.
The church of St Michael and All Angels at Felton was donated by William Bertram II to the priory of Brinkburn in 1199. It was Sir Roger Mauduit, however, who continued to support the development of St. Michael's. In 1331, he founded a chantry (a trust to support the income of a priest) and constructed the ‘Lady Chapel’ within the church. The stained glass window of the Lady Chapel is particularly interesting as it was carved from a single block of stone measuring over 2.7 square meters.